Thursday, June 30, 2011

My First Closing Shift

This is what happens, this is what always happens when I'm working in retail: I'm doing everything I'm supposed to be doing, keeping busy, making sure I'm not standing around idly, when I'm interrupted by a customer asking for something. I help the customer, then, as I'm standing there for a moment trying to regain my previous train of thought, my manager walks up and says, "Hey, Meghan, what are you doing?"

I swear, the whole two hours I was working up here before you came and checked on me, I was doing something. Non-stop. You caught me during the one second that I was staring off into space.

But I didn't say that, of course; I listened earnestly to her explanation of how, when there aren't any customers at the register, I can spend my time organizing the Bargain Books section.

An eight-hour closing shift is long. Really long. But now I get to curl up in a comfy chair and finish reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, and that makes me feel...

HAPPY!

No comments:

Post a Comment