Sunday, June 19, 2011

...Donuts...?

I took a nap instead of going for a hike this afternoon and I woke up craving donuts. Which is weird because I'm not a donut person. At all. I think I am drawn to the idea of a donut--the unique shape, the delicate glaze, the zazzy sprinkles--but the gross, greasy, bloated feeling that they invariably leave me with post-consumption has always been enough cause for me to take the unwavering stance that I don't like donuts. But, then again, maybe I still haven't given donuts a fair chance. For instance, I've never had fresh homemade donuts before.

I found this recipe on food gawker (a current obsession) and it appeals to me on account of its being vegan (yay!) and baked (rather than deep fried...does that mean it's still technically a donut?). I expected my parents to scoff at the idea of homemade donuts, as they occasionally do when they find me putting a lot of time and effort into making something that I could just drive down to a corner shop and buy for less than the cost of ingredients; but, to my pleasant surprise, they both commented nostalgically on how their respective mothers used to make donuts for breakfast on occasion and how those donuts were "so good!" Though I worry a bit about my first attempt at donuts being compared to the adept creations of my either of my culinarily masterful grandmothers, I am excited to feel just a little bit more connected to these two matriarchs.

But the process of getting the dough ready for tomorrow morning was a bit involved, and it's quite late. The dough balls are in the fridge now, resting until breakfast time, and I think I ought to follow suit (minus the fridge part; just some rest would be fine).

No comments:

Post a Comment