Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Skills!

...you know, like, nunchuku skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills...

No, but seriously.

I enjoy dabbling in a wide array of activities and pastimes. I think of myself as a fairly well-rounded person. I mean, just look at my bio right there in the right-hand sidebar: clearly, I'm not short on interests and enterprises. But lately I've been feeling a bit as though I'm stuck in a rut. And it is in an effort to pull myself out of said rut that I am hereby declaring the month of February to be

Skills Month

Since February divides so nice and evenly into four weeks, I have determined to acquire four entirely new skills within the month, roughly one per week.

I already have the skill for week one all picked out:
1. Learn how to use my camera.
I have owned my Nikon D40 digital SLR for nearly two years now, but have never even cracked the user's manual. There are several functions to the device that I have absolutely no clue how to perform. To make matters worse, I know pretty much nothing about photography. So, my first mission for the first week of February is to fully familiarize myself with my camera and learn how to use it better.

But, as far as pre-assigning a different skill for each week is concerned, that's as far as I've gotten.

This is where you come in.

I've got lots of ideas for stuff I can't do now that I would like to be able to do. But I can't make up my mind which (if any) should become my mission for week two of Skills Month. If you, the reader, are so inclined (and I hope you are), use the handy voting tool at the bottom of this post to vote for which skill you think I need to work on this February. Or, if you have an even better idea than the ones I've listed, click "other" and leave your suggestion in the comments section of this post.

Furthermore, I don't want to embark on this exciting, albeit risky, endeavor without inviting others to get involved. If you want to brush up on your skills, join me in commemorating Skills Month this February! If you need some help getting started with a game plan, I'd be more than happy to help you brainstorm for ideas.

In February, I'm going to learn...
how to quilt
how to change my own engine oil
fifty new words
basic html
other (enter your suggestion in the comments section below)
  
pollcode.com free polls

3 comments:

  1. Definitely quilting...then we can quilt together! Think of all the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you heaps. I want to quilt with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I, you. I tried to call the other week but couldn't reach you. I'll try again soon.

    ReplyDelete