Sunday, July 10, 2011

What Makes the Difference

It is very important not to become too ingrained in a certain approach to self-reflection. Over-scrutinizing and never discussing my thoughts with another person can become just as unproductive as constantly talking about everything with friends and never drawing away to a place of personal contemplation.

I've spent so much of the last month by myself. And it is strange how quickly I can, when left in relative isolation, reach an impasse in my personal growth without even noticing it. The idea of being open and honest with others sounds more and more undesirable, and I turn increasingly reticent.

And yet, how many times have I been surprised by the enormous strides I have taken toward enlightenment in just an hour's conversation with a good friend! I come as far in solving a problem in an afternoon as I had in several weeks of concentrated private meditation and reflection.

Tonight, I have so much joy, so much pain, and I have so much gratitude for the loving, understanding people who help me to better understand who I am, simply by being who they are. I love my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment